Saturday, February 22, 2014

Open Night at Imago Dei Cafe





"There's nothing happening in Manchester." 

Anyone who knows me, knows that phrase infuriates me. There are all kinds of projects, meetings and events that are happening in this city. It's not some secret, underground scene; it's obvious, but you have to look a little bit. Imago Dei is one of them.


I first heard about the Imago Dei Cafe open mic night, when I was walking in downtown Manchester on a Saturday morning and saw a sign in a window on Hanover Street. Yes, people really do walk around downtown outside of Monday through Friday, 8am-5pm or during bar time at night. Don't be shocked.



Anywho, that was back in December and unfortunately Mother Nature got in the way. I made doubly sure that I could attend the January event. The open mic drew a young crowd - high school and college-age folks and friends were excited to play. The night started with open mic and ended with a handful of featured guests.


The venue isn't a full-time restaurant or bar, so refreshments were coffee, tea, soda and some limited snack options. I know, sometimes it's inconvenient to not have an alcoholic beverage option, but sometime it's just nice. I was warned that the venue is normally some sort of Christian community outreach, but there was no proselytizing to be had, outside of some display books on the walls. 

All in all, it did remember me of the times in New York in college, sitting in a coffeehouse listening to artists, but I don't think there's anything wrong with that. When I was in the city, there was a greater range in the age of the artists and I think if this event sticks around for a bit, that will come too. I'll be back to check it out and more importantly, to show my support for events like this. 


Remember, we can't complain that there's nothing cool to do, if we don't show support for the people trying to create things we like. Well, you can complain, but I won't be listening. 








No comments:

Post a Comment